Tolex glue?

This is what it sounds like, when cones cry.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tolex glue?

Postby Mars Hall » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:07 pm

I'm repairing a amp cabinet, the bottom piece of tolex has long been gone. I'm gonna recover the area, what would be a good glue choice? Since this a patch job, what are some tips for the edges, so it does't peel off? I'm not as worried about cosmetics, I want to protect the wood, but I do want it to look clean and straight.

I'm open to any advise, I have no experience with recovering with tolex. :)
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Re: Tolex glue?

Postby demonufo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:58 am

I always use toluene glue with tolex. Coat both surfaces to be joined, wait 5 minutes, then bond them together.
It is quite messy stuff though if you're not careful. Toluene thinners will remove the mess you may make, but not too much or you'll mark the tolex permanently.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
demonufo

Postby Scumback Speakers » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:40 pm

This is what I use, and then I use Gorilla Snot Super Glue for my seams (corner cuts, etc) since it's not as runny as regular super glue and holds just as well. I buy the tolex glue in gallons since I do so many cabs, but a quart is good for 2-3 cabs typically.

www.tubesandmore.com

TOLEX GLUE, 1 QUART $19.95 plus shipping

S-F316

Brush-on adhesive ideal for applying tolex. Cleans up with soap and water. No nasty solvents required. Does not stretch or shrink the vinyl. Quart.

Please click on image for application directions.
TOLEX GLUE Adhesive For Bonding Tolex

Specifications: Tolex Glue is a non-flammable, Neoprene based, water borne adhesive formulated to bond tolex and vinyl to wood and wood based substrates.

Min. use temp: 45°F Shelf Life: 6 Months

Directions: Surfaces to be bonded must be clean. Apply a very thin coat to both surfaces. Very porous surfaces may require more than one coat. Second coat should not be applied until first has dried. Allow to "flash off" for 20-30 minutes. Cloudy areas indicate incomplete drying. This time can be shortened with forced air and/or heat. Position pieces carefully prior to bringing surfaces together as bond is made instantly. A pinch or J-roller roller is recommended to obtain proper mating.

Clean up and Storage: Clean Up: Cleans up easily with warm soapy water. Store tightly closed at room temperature. DO NOT Freeze.

Cautions or Warnings: For industrial use only. Consult MSDS prior to use.
Scumback Speakers & Cabs
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
Scumback Demo Video Link Below
http://youtu.be/u6U30BV2kFM"
Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Postby Mars Hall » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:01 pm

My wife has fabric glue, will that work? I have such a small area to cover, I would throw 95% of a quart away. Is there something I could use and get a small quantity of from a hardware store? The area I have to cover is the bottom only of a Super Reverb.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman
Mars Hall

Postby shakti » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:06 pm

Mr. Scumback - do you have any tips on how to remove glue residue from a cabinet? If it's the tubesandmore type, does soapy water help to remove the dry glue residue that remains when you strip off the tolex?

I ask because I've just started to strip a smallbox head cab which I got from Metro. It's probably made by Mojo, don't know what tolex glue they use. It feels very similar to the type of glue used on self-adhesive velcro and similar. I can actually peel it off with my thumbs, but I'm only halfway through the front panel, and my thumbs are way sore already...
JTM45 RS OT, JTM45 BB type I, JTM45/100, JTM100 black flag, JMP50 1986, JMP50 1987, JMP100 12xxx, AC30, BFSR, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt JPP100, CP103, DR103
shakti

Postby Scumback Speakers » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Goo Be Gone, Goof Off, furniture stripper, hairdryer and paint scraper, or 50 grit on your belt sander. I prefer the belt sander, then use Goof Off for harder to reach areas..
Last edited by Scumback Speakers on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scumback Speakers & Cabs
Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Postby Coot Boy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 am

I just use all purpose thinners and a scraper, pour it on and scrape it off, real easy. Never had a drama doin it that way. Then with nearly all the goop gone, an orbital sander with 60 grade paper does it easy as well. Just my way o doin it.
Coot Boy

Postby jcmjmp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:17 am

Southbay Ampworks wrote:Goo Be Gone, Goof Off, furniture stripper, hairdryer and paint scraper, or 50 grit on your belt sander. I prefer the belt sander, then use Goof Off for harder to reach areas..

The best method I have ever used is Lacquer thinner. It dissolves the factory contact cement very easily.

I use a rag which is dampened with Lacquer Thinner and dab the surface with the rag to get the glue wet. I do one panel at a time. When the panel is wet, I use a putty knife (6"-8"wide) to get scrape off the glue. It should come off very easily. The inner corners, I do with a small cabinet scraper.
jcmjmp

Postby shakti » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks for all the tips! So far I tried soapy water, heat (hair dryer) and acetone, neither of which seemed to do much to get the glue off more easily.

What is the more generic/chemical name for laquer thinner?
JTM45 RS OT, JTM45 BB type I, JTM45/100, JTM100 black flag, JMP50 1986, JMP50 1987, JMP100 12xxx, AC30, BFSR, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt JPP100, CP103, DR103
shakti

Postby Coot Boy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:36 pm

shakti wrote:Thanks for all the tips! So far I tried soapy water, heat (hair dryer) and acetone, neither of which seemed to do much to get the glue off more easily.

Thinners.
Coot Boy

Postby Mars Hall » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Today I spoke with a local tech and he suggested contact cement. Worked perfectly and I was able to buy a small enough amount, as not to waste. I've got the corners on, all that's left to install are the sliders/feet. I would like this as close to original as possible. Could someone with a Super Reverb measure where their feet are, please?
Mars Hall

Postby jcmjmp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:29 pm

shakti wrote:

Lacquer thinner is made up of Toluene, Methyl Alcohol and Methyl Ethyl.
jcmjmp

Postby Scumback Speakers » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Mars Hall wrote:Today I spoke with a local tech and he suggested contact cement. Worked perfectly and I was able to buy a small enough amount, as not to waste. I've got the corners on, all that's left to install are the sliders/feet. I would like this as close to original as possible. Could someone with a Super Reverb measure where their feet are, please?

I hope it was neoprene based water borne contact cement/glue. If not there's a good chance it will shrink or stretch your vinyl tolex.
Scumback Speakers & Cabs
Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Postby jcmjmp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Southbay Ampworks wrote:
Mars Hall wrote:Today I spoke with a local tech and he suggested contact cement. Worked perfectly and I was able to buy a small enough amount, as not to waste. I've got the corners on, all that's left to install are the sliders/feet. I would like this as close to original as possible. Could someone with a Super Reverb measure where their feet are, please?

I hope it was neoprene based water borne contact cement/glue. If not there's a good chance it will shrink or stretch your vinyl tolex.

I haven't done many tolex jobs but all but one of them but one were done with Genuine Marshall Tolex and solvent based Contact Cement. I have never had any issues with shrinkage or expansion.

My first tolex job ever was done with the Marshall "Style" tolex and I used spray can glue for that. The imitation tolex is nowhere near the quality of the Genuine Tolex in terms of Vinyl durability, weight and overall ruggedness, not counting the fact that the pattern isn't as crisp and looks generally cheaper. I can imagine Contact Cement could affect the imitation but on the real thing, it works fine.
jcmjmp

Postby Mars Hall » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Southbay Ampworks wrote:

It's an oil based glue. It bubbled up a bit. At least it's the bottom of the cab. If it comes off, I have plenty of tolex left, I'll man up and order what you suggested. In the mean time the purpose is served.

How about the feet placement, any experience with Fender stuff?
Mars Hall

Return to Speakers and Cabinets