Alnico 5 vs Alnico 8 Swap-out A/B Clip

For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Alnico 5 vs Alnico 8 Swap-out A/B Clip

Postby rgalpin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Clip starts with A5 then switches to A8.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6483068

This was done with the amp at seriously low volume so it's a little thin cuz we aint really movin' no air.

It feels really good. there's more sponginess and doink - i think i'll have to tweak the amp to ensure that i don't lose the backbone. I only played it through the JTM spec so far which is shared cathode and with that you have to be careful that the low end doesn't flub out on you. It seems like with the A8 this pickup is more likely to fall apart in the low end so those two things together have me on the hairy edge and needing to spend some time tweaking settings.

I look forward to hearing loud through my live rig which is tweaked for big and clean not much compression and squish - so i hope this A8 will be a good compliment to that.
Last edited by rgalpin on Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgalpin

Postby SoZo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Nice... I must get some, gone are the cheezie highs!
SoZo

Postby rgorke » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:44 pm

Rob,

I like it, especially the sponginess. Sounds like it has a lot of potential.

Here is another case in point of the "sum of the parts" thinking. This magnet will bring out different aspects of your overall tone. They may not immediately mesh with what the A5 magnet did. So, you tweak here and there, and hopefully, end up in a better place. Just remember where you started in case you need to go back. :) But you knew that. :P
rgorke

Postby jcm800nut » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm

Wow, quite a difference, that's really cool.

Thanks for doing all that work and posting the results.
jcm800nut

Postby Strat78 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:07 pm

A fatter PAF kind of tone to my ears. :D
Strat78

Postby rgalpin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:41 pm

some wank - to show what it sounds like on other stuff...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6483307

:) crappy playing, cool sounds.
rgalpin

Postby rgalpin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:16 pm

maybe i got to turn it up and move some air - too quiet.

and now... a list of excuses.

no but here's some stuff about the thing... when working with the weber mass 150 you have separate knobs for the highs and the low-mids. when yer working at as low a volume as i did this clip, it's hard to tell if you have them turned up the same amount because it's really touchy - because, as compared to the hotplate, the weber has 2 variable resistors - no big gradated notches - so you can turn up the lows and the highs to taste. that is both a blessing and a curse especially at low volumes when yer trying to recreate something that yer more familiar with when it's hurting you.

the amp is 6L6s but one is like 15mv higher that the rest! :shock:

so anyway - just showin' the diff between the 2 mags. :D but thanks for the feedback. it's good to know when yer too harsh - and clinical is very baaad!
rgalpin

Postby StuntDouble » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:48 pm

There's a lot that does sound right . There's a cut in the highs w/ a nice chirp and bite that sounds really good. What I do hear seems to be a little bit of a "quack" that I've gotten before whens the pup was too close to the strings that sometimes casues a little harshness in the highs. The strength of the A8's field...or maybe it's coercive force, I can't remember... is significantly higher than the A5;either way, it'll have a stronger magnetic pull on the strings than your pup would with the A5 in there. Maybe backing it away from the strings a bit would smooth it out some. Overall, I think it sounds closer than the A5. I think you've got something there, and it's just a matter of dialing it in. :D
StuntDouble

Postby Tone Slinger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Rob, I think that the tight 'crispness' of the A5 is somewhat lost with the A8. That's odd, cause I was thinking that the A8 would be a bit tighter and brighter. Maybe the pu output has to be real low, like in the 7K range for that magnet to really come alive ?
Tone Slinger

Postby rgalpin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Rob, I think that the tight 'crispness' of the A5 is somewhat lost with the A8. That's odd, cause I was thinking that the A8 would be a bit tighter and brighter. Maybe the pu output has to be real low, like in the 7K range for that magnet to really come alive ?

maybe - the BK VHII is about 8.5 i think.

what i am hearing that i like is that it's got some juice in the mids that make the A5 seem a little pale in comparison - i think the trick is going to be to keep the juice from running running down my leg - so to speak.

some of the juice that i am used to getting from the amp or the GE10 is now going to already be there, so adjustments need to be made to keep it under control - just barely. :wink:
rgalpin

Postby 908ssp » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 pm

I like the A8. The V doesn't sound bad but when the 8 comes in you can feel the fatter mids and the added power. Was the 8 set the same height as the V for that first clip? I don't hear the harshness referred to a bit more raw but nothing in the highs that are abrasive. I put a 8 in DiMarzio Mo' Joe and a PAF Joe and was real happy with the improvement, I might try lowering it.
908ssp

Postby StuntDouble » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm

908ssp wrote:I like the A8. The V doesn't sound bad but when the 8 comes in you can feel the fatter mids and the added power. Was the 8 set the same height as the V for that first clip? I don't hear the harshness referred to a bit more raw but nothing in the highs that are abrasive. I put a 8 in DiMarzio Mo' Joe and a PAF Joe and was real happy with the improvement, I might try lowering it.

+1
I like the A8 better too; you're talking like 1800 oersteads as compared to about 750 for an A5...much stronger magnetic pull, but even with that "quack"; it sounds right overall :D
StuntDouble

Postby Mr. Beasty » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Very nice!
Mr. Beasty

Postby rgalpin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm

908ssp wrote:I like the A8. The V doesn't sound bad but when the 8 comes in you can feel the fatter mids and the added power. Was the 8 set the same height as the V for that first clip? I don't hear the harshness referred to a bit more raw but nothing in the highs that are abrasive. I put a 8 in DiMarzio Mo' Joe and a PAF Joe and was real happy with the improvement, I might try lowering it.

same height. about 1/8". listening to the chords in the wank clip where i was muddling my way thru eruption stuff, the A G D.... and the chords for the beginning of SGMAD - there is an excitement in the upper frequencies that seems to replace the scratchy quality i hear in the A5. it's a finer grit than the sand i hear in the A5 - it's more pleasing and electric sounding. then the mids are fuller. the downside is it sounds a little like the low end is on the verge of crapping out which makes it appear to be less tight and a little trashy - but i think that requires a little tweaking and maybe the plexi spec will sound better with this since it has a split cathode so the low end is more controlled.
rgalpin

Postby Strat78 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:09 am

rgalpin wrote:

same height. about 1/8". listening to the chords in the wank clip where i was muddling my way thru eruption stuff, the A G D.... and the chords for the beginning of SGMAD - there is an excitement in the upper frequencies that seems to replace the scratchy quality i hear in the A5. it's a finer grit than the sand i hear in the A5 - it's more pleasing and electric sounding. then the mids are fuller. the downside is it sounds a little like the low end is on the verge of crapping out which makes it appear to be less tight and a little trashy - but i think that requires a little tweaking and maybe the plexi spec will sound better with this since it has a split cathode so the low end is more controlled.

This is where the mxr 6-band EQ does it's magic with the frown curve. I'm starting to hear that wonderful electric guitar tone that has been mia for 25 years, very cool!!!! :D
Strat78

Next

Return to Eddie Van Halen Amp Builders