LEADGUY and whoever is interested

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Re: LEADGUY and whoever is interested

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 am

chrisom wrote:Plus, it gets that great elusive 1985 Vivian Campbell tone from the Dio "Last In Line" album... :lol:

so would a dsd or a full shred or a duncan distortion, or a JB :wink: :mrgreen:
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!
Marshall SL12301

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I wish ralle would fire a duncan custom up with his marshall. would love to hear it against his DSD
Marshall SL12301

Postby Blix » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 am

I love these pickup discussions.

FWIW, I recently got the EVH 5150 III 50w, and it's an amp that don't like my A2 humbuckers at all.
SD CC, EVH Frankenstein, and a Motor City Black Iron all sounds overly soft and compressed in the bottom end.

So I have to find a ceramic magnet and convert that CC to a Custom...
I did put an 80's DSD in they guitar and everything was great again though. :)

FWIW 2: To my ears, on quite a few songs on 1984 and 5150 his low end does sound kinda A2-ish :what:
Blix

Postby evhguitars » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:56 pm

EVH had a few Gibson PAF rewound by SD before any Seymour Duncan Humbuckers were on the market.
SD stated that he remembers EVH's option out of the several rewinds was the JB rewind.
evhguitars

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:05 pm

evhguitars wrote:EVH had a few Gibson PAF rewound by SD before any Seymour Duncan Humbuckers were on the market.
SD stated that he remembers EVH's option out of the several rewinds was the JB rewind.

yeah but i think seymour was refering to the later 80's eddie cause he refers to the "hair band'" era here when talking about it? and hair metal never really started till 83 or so?
http://www.independent.com/news/2011/ju ... n-special/
But one of the most dramatic rises for Duncan was during the “hair band” era. “It was the Van Halen time,” he said. “I was doing a lot of oddball things for Eddie [Van Halen]. He wouldn’t tell anybody what he had in his guitars, and he was telling people that he was winding his own pickups. But he wasn’t.” If Duncan remembers correctly, Van Halen opted for the JB model pickup,
Marshall SL12301

Postby Tone Slinger » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Well, I hear a strat with a medium output and A2 on that first tour up to the second albums recording. I have no proof and may be totally WRONG. A JB is very middy for sure, sort of giving an A5 magnet an A2 type tone (due to its thinner 44awg wire wound to over 16k), but, a JB just doesnt clean up real well. But then again, on a maxed out plexi, almost any pu can/will clean up on the guitars volume.

Regardless of what the pu was on the 1st tour, the first album seems to have been a less well made DSD (Mighty Mite).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)
Tone Slinger

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Well, I hear a strat with a medium output and A2 on that first tour up to the second albums recording. I have no proof and may be totally WRONG. A JB is very middy for sure, sort of giving an A5 magnet an A2 type tone (due to its thinner 44awg wire wound to over 16k), but, a JB just doesnt clean up real well. But then again, on a maxed out plexi, almost any pu can/will clean up on the guitars volume.

Regardless of what the pu was on the 1st tour, the first album seems to have been a less well made DSD (Mighty Mite).

TS just for the record the JB's of today are not the same as a JB from 78. there are quite a few changes made to the new ones.
first the old ones have a roughcast A5 magnet which is not as bright or hot as the polished ones they have now,
the older JB's also used real PAF type bobbins(butyrate) and were wound to a lower resistance than the newer ones.
I have a really OLD JB from 78(it just says THE JB) and it cleans up just fine,it still has that JB trademark tone(singing mids crazy off the wall harmonics) but it sounds much more ah lets say vintage PAF than any newer one ever will or can.
If you are really interested in finding out what the old ones sounded like you can buy one of these,
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8268 ... kup-Black/

or this one
http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/comm ... =992061658
Marshall SL12301

Postby Blix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Sigh, now I got GAS for that old style JB....... :)
Never had a JB of any sorts me thinks, or it's a looong time ago.

I have some magnets coming, so I'm going to try my TB-11 with both roughcast A5 and cast A8 and probably a ceramic magnet as well.
Blix

Postby jnewlyn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Oslo, Norway. Nice. I had a roomate from Norway in the 90's. We lived in L.A. and his band was named Oslo. Very cool. Beautiful country. :lol:
jnewlyn

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Blix wrote:Sigh, now I got GAS for that old style JB....... :)
Never had a JB of any sorts me thinks, or it's a looong time ago.

they are amazing and NOT just for VH! :hairband:
Marshall SL12301

Postby evhguitars » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:23 am

Marshall SL12301 wrote:
Tone Slinger wrote:Well, I hear a strat with a medium output and A2 on that first tour up to the second albums recording. I have no proof and may be totally WRONG. A JB is very middy for sure, sort of giving an A5 magnet an A2 type tone (due to its thinner 44awg wire wound to over 16k), but, a JB just doesnt clean up real well. But then again, on a maxed out plexi, almost any pu can/will clean up on the guitars volume.

TS just for the record the JB's of today are not the same as a JB from 78. there are quite a few changes made to the new ones.
first the old ones have a roughcast A5 magnet which is not as bright or hot as the polished ones they have now,
the older JB's also used real PAF type bobbins(butyrate) and were wound to a lower resistance than the newer ones.
I have a really OLD JB from 78(it just says THE JB) and it cleans up just fine,it still has that JB trademark tone(singing mids crazy off the wall harmonics) but it sounds much more ah lets say vintage PAF than any newer one ever will or can.
If you are really interested in finding out what the old ones sounded like you can buy one of these,
http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8268 ... kup-Black/

or this one
http://www.themusiczoo.com/cgi-bin/comm ... =992061658

The very early JBs are labeled "The JB model". SD most likely was not talking about later 80s. He was most likely not doing JB rewinds with the JB pup already on the market.
evhguitars

Postby Rich_D » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Marshall SL12301 wrote: TS just for the record the JB's of today are not the same as a JB from 78. there are quite a few changes made to the new ones.

Any idea when they transitioned? Mine is a JBJ from around 87. Must be later gen.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!
Rich_D

Postby Marshall SL12301 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Rich_D wrote:
Marshall SL12301 wrote: TS just for the record the JB's of today are not the same as a JB from 78. there are quite a few changes made to the new ones.

Any idea when they transitioned? Mine is a JBJ from around 87. Must be later gen.

Around 1982-83 was the switch and it was only due to cost effective reasons.
butyrate is more expensive as is the plain enamel wire as opposed to poly.
UNfortunately Duncan swears there is no tone differences but i know many players including myself that completely disagree about that,especially since i personally have tested both in the SAME guitar same marshall and settings :wink:
the older JB with real vintage specs i mentioned is miles better for the VH tones as is the custom sh5's :rocker:
Marshall SL12301

Postby LypsLynch55 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Marshall SL12301 wrote: That lady was maricela juarez , So was it the hex poled Mighty mite DSD style pup? these do look shotty made

ah yes, the famous "MJ".
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal
LypsLynch55

Postby LypsLynch55 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Rich_D wrote:

I have an old JB from WAY back.....only problem is I dont have an amp right now......or else I'd let you guys hear it. I also have a few 70's DSD's too.......i really need to get back into playing so these things stop collecting dust.
"Just shine the echo there....Tommy get those cords that we use" - DLR during the Pasadena Rehearsal
LypsLynch55

PreviousNext

Return to General EVH & Van Halen Discussion