George Lynch

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Postby Eargasm » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:17 am

NY Chief wrote:Hey,earg. That JB in your avatar?

Heck yeah! He's my numero uno modern guitarist! 8)
Fuck it.
Eargasm

Postby NY Chief » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:31 am

Eargasm wrote:
NY Chief wrote:Hey,earg. That JB in your avatar?

Heck yeah! He's my numero uno modern guitarist! 8)

+1 baby!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:23 pm

George has incorporated some hybrid pick/finger type licks that has just been showing up not long ago. He has also been using different time measures, which often let his ear take him different places. His overall harmonic grasp is better than ever.

Every player has bounderies that sorta define what they are or are not. George is no different. He was playing his ass off way back, but was like 30 years old before he tracked his first major label record. In the mid eighties that Hair/Glam metal was big, and everyone was playing alot of power chords and stuff. George as a soloist, dominated his peer's at that point. He was one of the best from that genre. People will never seperate him from that time period. I still enjoy that sorta 'gun slinger' type thing George still has going on. He still has that fight left in him.
Tone Slinger

Postby tfrost33 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:49 am

GL was my all time biggest influence, although you might not know it from the music I am currently doing. I agree with alot that has been said here.
Myself and a couple of my best highschool buddies (whom also all played guitar) use to listen to all of the Dokken albums over and over and over again. It was great being with guys that loved Lynch's style as much as I did. The guys I am currently playing with can't stand Lynch, but I won't hold that against them, after all they are younger than I am and just still have not seen the light ;) hehehe just kidding Bob and Coop! Well Kind of!

My favorite solo was Heaven Sent studio version. That solo just oozes wickedness. Then that beginning song on the REH instructional video. Man I wished he released that song. Anyone know whats it called? Here is the you tube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asUQBl1DTDA

Tony
tfrost33

Postby NY Chief » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:33 am

tfrost33 wrote: after all they are younger than I am and just still have not seen the light ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean when it comes to Beck, Page, Clapton, Blackmore, Moore, etc... :?

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 am

Well if these youngins play 'solo's', then they WILL eventually see the light concerning these great player's. Those players mentioned above, LIVED to play guitar. That was thier sole JOB so to speak. I feel confident that anyone who plays leads with distortion, will at some point recognize the greats.

Some people are born with no rhythm, and gravitate towards super heavy, dark thrash styles. This 'rhythm' is about speed and tonallity. Not about 'feel' which is a BIG word. Only some of these Thrashy guy's will possibly never 'get it', cause all the funk brothers, blues . rock and country twangers definatly revere Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, Moore, Blackmore etc, etc.
Tone Slinger

Postby NY Chief » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:54 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Well if these youngins play 'solo's', then they WILL eventually see the light concerning these great player's. Those players mentioned above, LIVED to play guitar. That was thier sole JOB so to speak. I feel confident that anyone who plays leads with distortion, will at some point recognize the greats.

Some people are born with no rhythm, and gravitate towards super heavy, dark thrash styles. This 'rhythm' is about speed and tonallity. Not about 'feel' which is a BIG word. Only some of these Thrashy guy's will possibly never 'get it', cause all the funk brothers, blues . rock and country twangers definatly revere Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, Moore, Blackmore etc, etc.

yeah, REAL guitar PLAYERS....

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby tfrost33 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Well they're not exactly what I would call 'youngins'.... but they are younger than I am! hehe Its a funny thing because they like Warren DeMartini but not Lynch? Go figure... I love both Warren and George and even all the old school players NYChief mentioned. Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Townsend, etc, etc.... Funny thing is they love these old school players too, just not Lynch. Interesting, we have practice tomorrow, I might have put the boots to em' medium style! hehehehe
tfrost33

Postby Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:40 pm

I know that its hard for someone(well impossible) at 20 to see where they will be at 25 or 30, concerning playing.

At around 17, I was picking super long lines, using lots of arpeggio's and stuff. I was in my mind trying to be as fast and technical as Yngwie and all those Shrapnel guy's. At this same time, I , when coming up with my own songs and solo's, would end up using alot more bends and sustains than the 'neo classical' guy's would use. See, I at my core had already been heavily influenced by Ace Frehley, Michael Schenker, Hendrix, U. Roth, Van Halen, etc. I love note bending and vibrato, too the point of only using licks and stuff just to get to the next bend or vibrato.

At that time in my playing (87-88) , George Lynch kept my total interest. Everything he played was great to me. He sorta kept the flame lit for 'Hard Rock pentatonic/blues player's' cause his solo's always kept that vibe, but at the same time, he never allowed himself to become 'Dated', like many of his hero's and peer's. He incorporated the extended speed and technique of that day ino his own highly identifiable sound. DeMartini sorted 'regressed' back to his earliest influences.

The solo in "Heaven Sent" (Back for the attack) is definatly one of the best solo's I've ever heard. It is melodic, toneful, soulful, aggressive all rolled into one, with a dash of technique for good measure.
Tone Slinger

Postby tfrost33 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:34 pm

Agreed... except these guys are 30+, I am 36 ooops did I just say that? ;) They should know better. But they are my bandmates so I love em' you know.

Slinger you sound just like me when I was growing up playing guitar, trying to be fast but then realizing at a young age speed is simply a useful tool to get from one bend, vibrato, slur, or note to the next.

I really just think Lynch has kept it very tasteful over the years. I agree Warren regressed somewhat but I still love his playing! AND... Lynch has my respect in his continuous quest for tone! Heard he has a Metro now :twisted:
tfrost33

Postby NY Chief » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:46 pm

tfrost33 wrote: Heard he has a Metro now :twisted:

Yeah, for free and which he's tried to sell on ebay (twice, I think)...my opinion? Asshole.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby St August » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:54 pm

NY Chief wrote:

Yeah, for free and which he's tried to sell on ebay (twice, I think)...my opinion? Asshole.

Roflmao :lol: :lol: :lol:
St August

Postby Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:26 pm

Tfrost33, I agree with you 100 %.
Tone Slinger

Postby tfrost33 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:36 am

NY Chief wrote:

Bummer. I can't say I won't EVER sell my Metro because I can't predict the future, but I can guarantee I won't ever WANT to sell it. His loss will be someone else's gain. While he is my favorite, I have continuously heard he is kind of a prick... but I have never met him, so I will reserve judgement till that day! If ever... :roll:
tfrost33

Postby Tone Slinger » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:48 am

I've met him, and talked a bit. At the clinic in May, I asked him about his vibrato, and how it was developed. He answered very knowledgably, as well as giving his longest answer of the night. He is very 'interested' in the finer points.

I later got in line and shook his hand (His hand was slightly larger than mine, though I was probably an inch taller, I'm 5' 10) I asked him what picks he used, and I'll never forget his answer, he said, " I use the .60 mm dunlops with the rhino on them. I know I shouldnt be, but a thinner pick has more 'expression' to them". When George said 'expression' he did so with a gesture trying to get more 'expression' in his explanation. I knew exactly what he meant. I also sorta put my hands on that origional Tiger guitar of his. He kept that guitar right beside of him in sight, the whole night.

As to George being a asshole, I have heard this from a few people over the years. The agreed point of these guy's was that he was sorta 'sarcastic'. In his defense, George has been known to inadvertantly piss people off, due to his peculiar sense of humor. Then aain, If I've been on a bus all day or jet lagged, and am trying to pop into a music store sorta incognito, to check out some gear, I to, might want just a few moments to myself.

As far as George trying to sell the Metro, well, he has several vintage Marshalls. He knows what he wants. Maybe that one didnt do it for him. And hell, someone will gain with his loss 8) .
Tone Slinger

PreviousNext

Return to Artists