Mark Farner

Inspirational tones.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Mark Farner

Postby outlier » Wed May 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Been listening to some GFR lately and lately as I've been enjoying more sparse in-your-face natural tones, I find his tone very appealing.

Couple of benchmarks might be "1976" from good singin' good playin' and "Footstompin' Music" from E Pluribus Funk.

Concerning the latter track, that seems to exemplify Mark's tone for me, one that seems to have been rather consistent. A little more than a year and a half ago, I'd seen Mark Farner play in Destin, Florida (sort of). Atlanta Rhythm Section opened and we know some of those guys, so the wife, daughter and I hung out backstage for the entirety of Mark's set.

So I never really got a good look at what he's using now, but his tone seemed remarkably faithful to the old GFR tone even though he was using modern equipment. 8) IIRC, he also had one of those uncomfortable-to-play (for me at least) anime jigsaw looking guitars with the synthetic bodies and carved out headstock. I can't think of what they're called at the moment.

There's a distinct EQ'ing to his sound. Just curious as to what he used and what he uses now. "1976" sounds to me like it could be a Strat, but it seems Mark used some real offbeat gear, so it's probably not a Strat at all...

Speaking of good singin' good playin', I'd forgotten what a great and unrecognized album that is. Frank Zappa produced it as some of you know and he turns in a stunning extended solo on "out to get you." Great stuff.
"THINK OF THE POWER!" ~ E. Cartman
outlier

Re: Mark Farner

Postby Woolly Mammoth » Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Back in the day he was using WEST amps and Micro frets guitars.
I am not sure what he is using now.

DAVE
Woolly Mammoth

Postby outlier » Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm

I'd run across that in some internet searches, but couldn't find anything that seemed to give a definitive album by album axology. Which may not exist anywhere anyway. I realize that.

I know nothing about those guitars and amps except to recognize their names. And that's it.
outlier

Postby NY Chief » Wed May 26, 2010 8:48 pm

LOVE Grand Funk Live. I think it was recorded at Shea Stadium, in fact.

Not the most technical player but I love that stuff. LOTS of heart in his playing and singing. I'm Your Captain / Closer to Home. How can you beat it?
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby leadguy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 am

I only know the Grand Funk singles from the 70s, I thought the solo in Locomotion was pretty good and I just liked the guitar in general on We're an American Band and also the short solo and Mark Farners vocals are pretty good as well and Grand Funk were a hard rockin band with their 70s line up.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk
leadguy

Postby NY Chief » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:53 am

Defintely check out GF live, leadguy. Inside Looking Out, Heartbreaker, Mark Says Allright. MAJOR heart in that playing!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby leadguy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks, I'll check it out.

At that time, I seem to remember listening to a lot of Skynryd, Purple, Led Zep, Bad Company, Free, CCR and other stuff and I never really got around to GFR even though their singles sounded great IMO.
"When your swinging, Swing some MORE" ~Monk
leadguy

Postby NY Chief » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:56 pm

GF Live was the first LP I bought when I was about 10-11. My "older" cousin Neil (13) turned me onto it (though I wasn't sure what "turned on to" really meant but I knew it was good music.) It caught up to me a few years later and have been a fan ever since. Farner had great energy.
Last edited by NY Chief on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"
NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Postby Zoso » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 am

outlier wrote:) IIRC, he also had one of those uncomfortable-to-play (for me at least) anime jigsaw looking guitars with the synthetic bodies and carved out headstock. I can't think of what they're called at the moment.

Best description of a Parker guitar I've ever heard. :D Or at least I assume that's what he's talking about. That's what Farner was playing last time I saw him.
What good is my wisdom
When there are no words to say
How I feel everday ?
Zoso

Postby outlier » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Parker! Yeah, that's it. I just couldn't think of the name... :mrgreen:
outlier

Postby yngwie308 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I have read that Mark has has some orthopedic issues with his shoulder after years of playing, this is a few years back now, and he was looking for an ultra-lightweight guitar and a strap system that equally distributed the weight, a Parker Fly is super light, so that's a good choice of guitar with a surprisingly good tone
yngwie308
yngwie308

Postby redozzman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:24 pm

I happen to know Marks current guitar tech and I asked him what Mark is using right now this is his response:

Amps are silver face super heads in a oak rack with old Rca 6l6s run into a pair of dual 15 JBL D130Fs also in custom oak cabs. These were used in the hay day of GFR with the West Amps. From what I hear Mark still has the West amps but that is not confirmed. Fly dates we rent two 65 Twin RI

Pedals include
Keeley modded Crybaby
Keeley modded Blues Driver
Keeley Fuzz head
Keeley Modded DL4
MXR Comp
Creation Audio Holy Fire
Ibanez Fl4? Old Jap flange
Aria Chours
ISP Deciminator
TU 3 tuner
Dimarzio cables
Pedal Train 2 board
Custom rapco snake
Brace Audio Wireless
Pink tortex picks
Hohner Blues Harps

Guitars
Two orginal Parker Fly USA
Dimarzio pickups in both
One is a H H
The other HSH (backup)
redozzman

Postby Just Mike » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 pm

Wayy huge influence on me. He's why I started playing. His famous guitar was the Messenger. Check it out here;

http://markfarner9.blogspot.com/2009/09/mark-farners-most-famous-messenger.html
Just Mike

Return to Artists