yellow astron Vs mullard mustard in a Tweed amp ?

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

yellow astron Vs mullard mustard in a Tweed amp ?

Postby electricskychurch » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:17 am

did you compare some yellow astron caps with some mullard mustard in a tweed amp (deluxe, bassman...) ?
i read somewhere the 50's yellow astron caps are some kind of polyesther like the mullard ones (not exactly the same though) but i'm not sure about it.
as i read several times the 50's yellow astron are very often leaky, i wonder if the mullard mustard would give me the same type of tone ?
i tried some NOS paper/ oil military grade caps as well as a mix of cornell dubilier tiny chiefs (0.1's ) and black beauty (0,022) in a tweed deluxe amp i built already , that gave good results but as i haven't heard any real tweed amps with astron, i can't compare !
electricskychurch

astron

Postby lifer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm

couple weeks ago some dude on ebay had a ton of NOS astrons.

also a ton of dough...more than mustards!
lifer

Postby kwm488 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:41 pm

i know astron easy leak. so i try jensen copper foil cap and sprague black beauty. i think black beauty is better. it is great cap.
kwm488

Postby electricskychurch » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:34 pm

so, nobody compared them ?
electricskychurch

Postby GUITARmole » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 am

electricskychurch wrote:so, nobody compared them ?

It's kind of difficult to compare.

For example, I have an original 50's tweed w/ yellow Astrons...there's no telling what the actual values on those caps are, plus I'm not about to desolder them and pop in mustards to compare.

Any comparisons of an original amp w/ Astrons to a clone w/ Mustards would be useless due to all other parts being different or not exact.

What I can say is that I've used Mustard cap clones (Mojo Dijons) in a Fender Reverb Unit build and they sounded great...that's not exactly the "definitive" answer you're looking for though, I'm afraid :wink:
GUITARmole

Postby electricskychurch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 am

knowing i found an original bassman 45249 output transformer, original 50's p10r 's and p10q's in very good shape and the MM PT i bought should give the good voltage, i should get pretty close with some good caps .
i 'd like to know if the yellow astron were really polyesther and what was the difference with the mullard ones .
electricskychurch

Postby electricskychurch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:18 am

i would have hoped i could get some infos from someone like John (SOZO) or some other people used to those kind of questions .
electricskychurch

Postby electricskychurch » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:05 pm

does anybody have an old yellow astron and a blue tubular molded used capacitor (even leaky) for sale, so i can open them and compare with some other ones ?
electricskychurch

Postby LZ_69 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:50 am

I bought some surplus metal cased Astron caps similar to Sprague vitamin Q from This guy in the Netherlands for tweed bassman build. I imagine there the closest thing to the yellow caps without the leakage.

http://www.machmat.com/sales/indexc.htm
LZ_69

Postby electricskychurch » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:52 pm

no, the astron caps you talk about are the sealed paper / oil caps, they are not exactly like the yellow astron but they are much better quality.
electricskychurch

Re: yellow astron Vs mullard mustard in a Tweed amp ?

Postby Roadrunner » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:53 pm

electricskychurch wrote:did you compare some yellow astron caps with some mullard mustard in a tweed amp (deluxe, bassman...) ?
i read somewhere the 50's yellow astron caps are some kind of polyesther like the mullard ones (not exactly the same though) but i'm not sure about it.
as i read several times the 50's yellow astron are very often leaky, i wonder if the mullard mustard would give me the same type of tone ?
i tried some NOS paper/ oil military grade caps as well as a mix of cornell dubilier tiny chiefs (0.1's ) and black beauty (0,022) in a tweed deluxe amp i built already , that gave good results but as i haven't heard any real tweed amps with astron, i can't compare !

Over the years I've found parts to build a Bassman. It all started when I found a set of original '59 transformers, then a set of 4 P10R Jensens with exact date codes etc... the hardest part of the whole build was finding those caps.
The Astrons leak like crazy. I've bought hundreds of 'em and the values were usually WAY off. I finally found enough that were pretty much right, value wise, to finish out my build. I don't think I'll try looking for those caps again... very frustrating!

Here's one of my tweed Deluxes... it's totally stock, all original and has the original tubes. Note the Astrons...

Here's a clip that I did for Skatterbrane pickups... a Historic Les Paul straight into the Deluxe:
http://h1.ripway.com/GJB58/SBsdemo2tweedtake2.mp3
Achieve the Possible!
Roadrunner

astron caps

Postby lifer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 pm

RR-- KILLER tweed, man! beautiful.

my bro-in-law has a '49 (tv) tweed----not as nice as that though!!
lifer

astrons

Postby lifer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm

crap, i got excited about the tweed and forgot what i was going to say :lol:

"Jupiter" makes exact copies of Astron caps....look just like sozo's...

maybe these would work nicely for those fender builds?? :roll:
lifer

Postby novosibir » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:09 pm

GUITARmole wrote:What I can say is that I've used Mustard cap clones (Mojo Dijons) in a Fender Reverb Unit build and they sounded great...

Shure, they're by any means a better choice than Mallory 150's, but nonetheless they couldn't convince me. IME experience they sound too modern, compared to i.e. a SoZo (Standard & Premium lines).

lifer wrote: "Jupiter" makes exact copies of Astron caps....look just like sozo's...

I'd also be curious, if anybody has compared it to Mustards or SoZo Premiums.

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/amp-parts.html

http://www.specialtyguitars.com/capnotes.html

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
novosibir

astron caps

Postby lifer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 pm

actually, i got a handful of the jupiters for half price....because i am

going to try them in a marshall circuit...they have no feedback on

that aspect.

i have a 2203 with all sozo "vintage" caps. i have to get off my ass and