Voltage Compression Mod

Info for maintaining and tweaking your amp to perfection.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Voltage Compression Mod

Postby metalhead3ecr » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FiJmTnvZN8

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

I dig the sound :shred:
metalhead3ecr

Re: Voltage Compression Mod

Postby metalhead3ecr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Bump :scratch:
metalhead3ecr

Postby EFK » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:45 am

Power resistor instead of a choke, or placed in line (typically after) the choke, will create a similar effect. A power resistor can also be placed between the rectifier ad the first filter to render the same type of effect.
EFK

Postby metalhead3ecr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Cool thanks! ...I will need to search and read up about power resistors...never heard of them!
metalhead3ecr

Postby joey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 am

The video title and explanation is vague at best and done so purposely. he's obviously trying to sell his services, and most likely not trying to indicate one method of doing this over the other really. There's quite a few ways to do it though, both passively and actively, and if the title is accurate and what I'm looking at on the scope is, a large time constant or a large instantaneous draw is not involved, meaning its not as simple as a passive means IF MEASURED AT A POINT OF LARGE INSTANTANEOUS CURRENT DRAW. but this is making a very broad and wrong assumption that it is! Where in the powersupply is this measurement being taken? power supply... Its a broad term. Look at that chassis! It's been cut to utter shit! What are we really listening to? There's no A/B controlTest. What is the actual difference in load on the the supply in measured numbers between hard and soft transients. So if you know what the parameters are than it makes it easy to give advice. If your just relying on a YouTube vid and a broad description than it makes it difficult.
joey

Postby metalhead3ecr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:07 am

very true! I am fairly certain he has an account here too...and there is no doubt that he himself won't reveal the inner workings of that amp (I wouldn't either).

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what he was doing to get that nice natural compression. :drool:

But thanks though! :)
metalhead3ecr

Postby joey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

metalhead3ecr wrote:very true! I am fairly certain he has an account here too...and there is no doubt that he himself won't reveal the inner workings of that amp (I wouldn't either).

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what he was doing to get that nice natural compression. :drool:

But thanks though! :)

You mean sir spam Alot!? Yeah I'm sure he does have one. :lol:

Well like I said the test variables are non existent! "what is being measured"? What are the test variables, Where in the power supply is this measured. It's loaded. What kind of answer were you expecting? Absolutes based on a vague and dodgy you tube vid?

I don't actually hear lots of compression in that clip, as what somebody might typically label compression. And your also making broad assumptions that the "compression" in as far as the title of the scope demonstration is concerned, is what's actually responsible for what you personally like about the sound, the term compression in itself is wayyyy too broad and means different things contextually and to different people, you have to be extremely clear on what exactly it is you like. If your talking about the kinda nasally evh distortion quality, than say that. Have you tried any of the Jose type mods floating around? some of those as far as I have experimented with have that type of nasally character.

That said and making assumptions about where the measurements were taken, I can tell you exactly how to get a response similar to what you see on the scope shot in the clip, in the preamp, the power amp anywhere, but that ONLY means the transient response you see! and that also means that there are more assumptions to me made that factor alone won't equal what your hearing or like about the clip. You can't only consider things in broad terms.

It's a loaded demonstration! And actually quite meaningless. Without listing variables and the A vs B test conditions, Its not really showing you anything ;)

Any of this make sense?
joey

Postby metalhead3ecr » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 pm

haha, yes this makes sense. ya learn something new everyday :lol:
metalhead3ecr

Return to Repairs, Restoration and Mods