For all things to build the brown sound

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Anyone see this???

Postby Gibanez » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Man, Eddie had to be pissed on this one :shock:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/10/1 ... icrotonal/
Gibanez

Postby fillmore nyc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm

WTF??? Was that for real?? I dont get it. If that IS real, why is the audience clapping and cheering like a bunch of idiots? That was friggin' HORRENDOUS!! The only thing that could have made that really "perfect" would have been if that jackass DLR would have knocked himself out cold acting like a circus ringleader with that baton routine at -3:18. Watching him flump around on that fake microphone at -2:26 was real special too. Thats GOTTA be worth the price of admission for sure. :roll: :roll:
fillmore nyc

Postby Tone Slinger » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Guy's, What happened on the clip ? I still havent got another modem so I cant download it.
Tone Slinger

Postby JD » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:57 pm

Oh my, what a trainwreck. :shock:
JD

ed

Postby monkface » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:33 pm

That's just the same clip as jump at greensboro. Accidents happen alright! Hasn't anyone of us been in a trainwreck like that?
monkface

Postby chubs » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Honnestly, NO... and I am not EVH and I don't have millions of $$ and techs out my ass.....

Can anyone say REHERSWAL !!!! That is unforgivable.
chubs

Postby chad » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:26 pm

This is NOT the Greensboro show??? So if it's not they had another F-UP AGAIN. That would be realy bad too have happened again like that... :shock: Chad
chad

Postby Star*Guitar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:35 pm

No big deal. The sampling rate on the keyboards was suppose to be set at 44khz...but was mistakenly set at 48k...It is just like changing speed on a LP...the faster you go the higher the pitch.

Mistakes happen. They did the best they could considering. Dave still sounded good in my opinion.

Van Halen has been sequencing their keyboards since day one.

I can't tell you how many times supid things have happened to me live. It makes you grow as a musician.
Star*Guitar
Star*Guitar

Postby jculb69 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:14 am

It's the Greensboro show.

Yeah, I'm with monkface and Star*Guitar on this one. I've had this happen too. Typically when the sequencer gets screwed up, you either have to stop or keep going. I thought they handled it well. No one pitched a fit on stage, stomped off, etc...All things considered, it really isn't that big of a deal. They are only human, and it's only Rock and Roll.
jculb69

Postby Mr Crumb » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:39 am

The guy who wrote that article has very little clue about what he is talking about. Here's why. The synth is playing EXACTLY in the key of C#.

In that article, Peter Kirn contends that the keyboard intro was recorded in the key of C at a sample rate of 44.1KHz and the recording was accidentally played back at the wrong sample of 48Khz, placing the keyboard in the key of C#.

It looks good on paper, but in reality, that makes no sense. If you take and record a middle C(261.63 Hz) at 44.100Khz and play it back at 48Khz, the resulting note is about 285 Hz where C# is 277.18Hz. And because tonal intervals to our ears are logarithmic and not linear, 285Hz sounds much closer to D and it sounds NOTHING like C#.

What you have is a keyboard playing exactly in the key of C#. If you listen, Wolfie is also playing in C#. If the drums could play in key, they too would be playing in C#.

A sample rate error could have NEVER placed the keyboards in exactly C#. But that is where the keys are. And the keys are right on with the bass guitar.

Van Halen ALWAYS plays "Jump" live, in the key of C#. In the studio, it was recorded in C and Eddie tuned 1/2 step down in the studio.

What happened? Eddie has a specific guitar that he uses for Jump. A guitar which is tuned to 440. Eddie either forgot to grab that guitar, or grabbed the wrong guitar.

Oops! :lol:

And another thing.... If you record in a digital format @ 44.1Khz, you cant accidentally play back the tape at 48Khz, because its the tape that contains the information that tells the playback deck where the sample rate is to be set at.
On Youtube:
• Mean Street Intro            • Eruption Noodling
Mr Crumb

Postby fillmore nyc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:06 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Guy's, What happened on the clip ? I still havent got another modem so I cant download it.
This sounds like a (really bad) garage band trying to play "Jump". I dont hear ANYBODY playing in the same key. IMHO, they sound lower than rank beginners here. Im sorta curious as to why they didnt stop playing, and either get their shit together, or just play a different song, cause having something like THAT shot all over the internet is embarrassing. Say what you want about it being "rock and roll", but that was worse than hearing the Ramones stoned on carburetor cleaner. (which is NOT rock and roll... its just bad) :shock: :shock:
fillmore nyc

Postby chubs » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:20 am

It's only rock'n'roll when you watch a garage band in some dump down the street.... when you fork over hundred of dollars to see "THE Reunion" and they freaking screw up a song that millions of bar bands have played live since the dawn of time...

Why did the freaking tech not kill the god damn sequence....???????? I just don't get it... ED change freaking guitars.... don't start fucking tuning right there on stage through the PA... what the hell is that...

Sounded like those freaking Steve Vai things on youtube...

Of course the tech comes and puts that pedal back to it's place when ed yanks on the jack cord.... but noone says.... " Holly shit his guitar is out of tune!!!! Quick Grab another.... Tune the fucking thing and swap it out for him...." Jesus mother of fucking christ!!!!!!!!!

That has got to be the biggest god damn train wreck I have EVER EVER EVER seem in my LIFE, hands down. Final.
chubs

Postby Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:36 am

Well, they played 'Jump ' great at Charlotte. I have very, very 'limited' funds, but went anyway's. I have no regrets. That show put a breath in me that I am still feeling. I loved it. I didnt like the little wha parts that Ed put in it at Charlotte though. Still, a great show !
Tone Slinger

Postby franc » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:39 am

Funny, this discussion has been going on in several threads, but WHY IS NOBODY WONDERING WHAT WOLF IS DOING?

Can't really hear him well, but, did he notice the error and is he playing half a note higher? Is he following his dad??

That must be terryfing being up there not knowing what to do.

And what about Alex! He is hearing the keyboard on his headset, mixed with his brother's guitar. THAT MUST HURT :shock:
Franc.
"I live my life like there's no tomorrow"
franc

Postby jculb69 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:42 pm

I
jculb69

Next

Return to Eddie Van Halen Amp Builders